Can’t stand the heat?
Working on the road all day is already a grueling job, but add in the powerful sun and it’s a whole new experience. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration stated that 2012 has been the hottest year since they began temperature recordings in 1895.
With that being said, road workers, and anyone who works outside, need to be very cautious when it comes to extreme heat conditions. Heat exhaustion, heat cramps, and heat strokes are all potential concerns in the summer. The good news is it’s pretty easy to find practical ways to overcome the high temperatures.
Here are some of our favorite HOT TIPS FOR HEAT:
- Drink lots of fluids (including sports drinks to replenish the loss of salt)
- Wear light colored clothing which is also breathable
- Make sunscreen your best friend, SPF 30 or higher
- Know that it’s okay to take more breaks than usual; ask for them early and as often as needed
- Keep a cold cloth around the neck and an extra in your cooler
Don’t let the heat beat you this summer! Remember to practice these safe and easy tips to help ensure that you will be on top of your game, regardless of the weather conditions!